6 March 2020
Dakuku Peterside, the political godson of transport minister Rotimi Amaechi, will be replaced as director-general of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) by Bashir Jamoh.
Peterside owed his position to his godfather and was appointed in 2016, with his tenure expiring later this month. A highly-placed source at NIMASA revealed to Naijiant.com that Jamoh’s elevation to the top position was “usual nepotism” by the regime of President Muhammadu Buhari. It has since been reported that Jamoh is the father-in-law of Buhari’s private secretary.
However, details of Peterside’s alleged corruption, reportedly from NIMASA staff, have been circulating on social media:
1. Over 3 billion naira spent on Marine litters and water hyacinth removal without any visible progress as our waterways are still heavily littered.
2. 10,000 US Dollars per day per vessel for 6 now dilapidated very slow Fast Intervention Vessels for over 2 years instead of dry docking and servicing the 22 vessels seized by EFCC from Global West Vessels Specialists and Tom Polo.
3. About 5 billion naira spent on renovation of Head Office.
4. Billions of naira on unscrupulous Consultancy projects.
5. Millions of naira spent on non functional GMDS projects especially the over inflated ones at Tarkwa Bay Lagos.
6. Overinvoicing and inflation of several contacts.
7. Hundred of Millions of naira overspent and diverted on NImasa end of year parties in the last 3 years.
A recent N50m to just a Singer for 10 minutes appearance at the NIMASA Party
8. Millions wasted on Guest House Project at NMRDC Kirikiri.
9. Overinvoicing and inflation of Deep Blue Sea Project.
10. Millions spent on moribund Marine Laboratory projects in Lagos, Warri and Portharcourt.
11. Overinvoicing and inflation of SAR Base Clinic Projects and Equipment at Lagos Warri and Portharcourt.
12. Inflation of purchase of GIGI giest house in Bonny.
13. Overpayment and multiple payments of Estacodes on overseas trips.not attended or fully attended.
14. Payment and inflation of contracts for non-working ICT and Communiacation contracts.
15. Inflation of SAGE X3 ERP Project.
16. Inflation of contract for renovation of Staff Canteen and office extension.
17. Award of contacts to DG and his Ed’s.
18. Payment and inflation of Archives and e library projects in HQ, Lagos and other Zonal Offices.
19. Inflation and mon removal of wrecks
20. Lack of Due Process in the award of contracts and manipulating the Procurement Process and the Parastals Tenders Board.
[29/02, 14:16] OAA: 21. Non completion and payment for contacts for Communication Display screens.
22. Non completion and payment for Tele Conference Equipment.
23. Manipulation and payment for several Environmental Poltion Preve tion and Control Projects.
24. Inflation of contracts for supply of furniture.
25. Contacts splitting.
27. £200,000. 00 Monthly Imprest withdrawal from London office
When asked whether Amaechi was going to help Peterside beat a corruption rap, the NIMASA source said the former governor of Rivers State was the “nemesis” of his political godson. Apparently, being in charge of such a cash cow as NIMASA meant that Peterside “got too high on his supplies”. The source suggested the DG was feeding so much from the corruption trough that he forgot who put him there and stopped ensuring his “oga” got his cut.
As far as the source could see, Peterside is likely to face jail time.