Tuesday , 25 June 2019
Home > Articles > Zaria massacre: Shia Muslims reject report
Shia leader Zakzaky still in detention

Zaria massacre: Shia Muslims reject report

A spokesman for the Shia sect has condemned the report of the inquiry set up by the Kaduna State government to look into the clashes between Shia Muslims and the Nigerian army in Zaria last year.

The report, available online held that the army killed more than 300 people in the attack and that excessive force had been used in the three-day raid on the headquarters of the Shia Islamic Movement of Nigeria. The commission also criticised the leader of the sect, Ibrahim Zakzaky, for failing to control his followers.

However, Ibrahim Musa, speaking for the sect, told the BBC World Service in an interview that the report didn’t state “who are the aggressors”.

Listen to the interview here.

Musa argued that the report couldn’t claim that two parties were at fault when over 1,000 people were killed. While the report acknowledged that over 300 Shia Muslims were killed, Musa countered that over 800 people have been missing since the attacks.

The sect’s members refused to participate in the inquiry without the release from detention of their leader Ibrahim Zakzaky.

Musa also said that they are seeking redress via the International Criminal Court (ICC) at the Hague and locally through the Federal High Court in Abuja and state High Court in Kaduna. Their demand is that the ICC should investigate the massacres and bring the culprits to book.

Download PDF

Check Also

Nigeria’s membership of the OIC is unconstitutional

3 June 2019 President Muhammadu Buhari returned to Abuja yesterday after attending the Organisation of …