Fatai Owoseni, the Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, has denied reports that he threatened to stop the planned protest led by singer 2Face Idibia against the government on Monday.
The protest, supported by the Enough is Enough group, has been tagged “a call for good governance and for urgent explanation into the reckless economic downturn nationwide”. It was widely reported that the Lagos State Police Command had issued a ban against the protest.
However, speaking to newsmen today, the police boss said that all he required was “notification” from the organisers to “guide the process” and to “prevent the peaceful demonstrators from being attacked by criminal elements”.
Commissioner Owoseni, said he recognised the rights of free assembly and protest. Several Nigerians had earlier blasted the idea of banning the protest, especially as a similar protest against the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan took place in 2014 and was not banned. That protest was led by the likes of current President Muhammadu Buhari, current governor of Kaduna State Nasir el-Rufai, the Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress John Oyegun and others.
It was not clear at the time of writing whether the organisers of Monday’s protest have been in touch to negotiate police protection for their march.